Update Testing is the process of testing the newer version of an application over it’s older versions.
A lot of people have not an exact understanding of what we test while doing update testing. Let’s discuss it in more detail with examples.
Testing the update procedure from the current store version to the newer release candidate is important. With the test, you verify, that the new app is not affecting the old installed version.
Update Testing counts:
⦁ It will not logout a user from the app e.g. before the update he was logged in.
⦁ It will not affect the local database e.g. existing data will not be modified or deleted.
⦁ It will be installed correctly from the store(simulation).
⦁ It does not only perform to test the updated newer version of the app on the older version, but it is also performed in the case if the server is having changes or in other words, we can say if the server of the app is updated.
Process of doing Update testing involves:
- Install the order release version of your app(Let’s say 1.0). Create some data in the app.
- Do not log out from the app, now install the newer release or version of your app(Let’s say 1.1 or 1.3, etc) without uninstalling the previous one.
- Now, as a result of Step 2, you must be able to log in the app with your earlier created data in this newer release and you must be able to play with the app. In short your, data must be preserved.
- Perform Steps 1-3, repeatedly in all the conditions:
- If the server of the app is updated.
- If there are any changes/modifications in the database(like rows/columns are added or any other new tables are introduced to the database of your app.
Case 1: If the Server is updated and the app is running on the older version.
Let’s suppose the older version of Server is X.0 and the latest version of Server is X.1 and App version is Y.0. So what we will be testing is that Is our App with version Y.0 is compatible with the latest version of Server X.1 or not. We will be testing that our app should be running flawlessly without affecting its functionality.
Case 2: If the App is updated and the server is running on the older version.
Let’s suppose the older version of App is Y.0 and the latest version of App is Y.1 and the Server version is X.0. So what we will be testing here is that:
- Is our App with version Y.0 is compatible with the older version of server X.0 or not.
- Without uninstalling the App with version Y.0, we will install the App with the latest version Y.1 and we will test Is this version is also compatible with server version X.0 and the data of App with older version Y.0 is preserved and has not been lost.
InnovationM is a globally renowned Mobile app development company in India that caters to a strong & secure Android app development, iOS app development, hybrid app development services. Our commitment & engagement towards our target gives us brighter in the world of technology and has led us to establish success stories consecutively which makes us the best iOS app development company in India.
Thanks for giving your valuable time. Keep reading and keep learning.